Friday, September 11, 2020

Where to Turn for the News

 Finding updates on the pandemic can be overwhelming. What may seem like a public health issue has turned into a highly politicized issue across the country. News outlets like FOX News and CNN are highly polarized and present the issue as a political problem. Social media can help to reveal some things that the news won't cover, like people's personal stories and experiences with COVID, but does often not provide updates and harbors many polarized political comments. 

As a Kentuckian, I prefer to get my news and updates on the coronavirus from Governor Beshear's news briefings. I began watching him in March when I was forced to move home from my dorm. I liked how he remained calm and stayed focused on the issue the entire time. He kept Kentuckians updated on the total cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, as well as thoroughly emphasizing every precautionary measure he would be enacting in the state. He brought outside resources to cover topics that weren't his strong suit and frequently featured Dr. Stack to explain the medical side to a more in depth measure. Beshear never brought politics into his nightly updates and was instead focused on the health and safety of the citizens of Kentucky. Since March, he has been the main source of my coronavirus knowledge. I have paid attention to the CDC and their guidelines, but often did not watch the presidential press briefings as they often possessed false information from the president and included disrespectful comments towards news reporters.

I am grateful for Andy Beshear and his frequent coronavirus updates where his priority is clearly to keep Kentuckians safe and informed. While I do not understand his reasoning behind every single guideline he has released, I am very satisfied with the manner in which he has presented his information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Race for a Vaccine

 What if an American vaccine proves to be the most effective vaccine on the planet? For the past nine months, the novel coronavirus has rava...