Monday, October 12, 2020

Kentucky Football is Back!

After much of the summer was spent wondering if college football would be able to occur, the first home game of the season was able to be hosted on Saturday, October 3rd. While it was great to be able to experience somewhat normal life again, there were several changes that were implemented. 

The most noticeable change presented this season is the stadium capacity. Only 12,000 fans are allowed into the stadium to watch the game. Because of the limited capacity, student tickets were not sold as normal, but were instead distributed through a lottery like student basketball tickets. Fans were also asked to wear a mask for the entirety of the game (except when eating or drinking). Since I attend football games with my family, I have also learned that any form of tailgating is prohibited. Fans are not allowed to tailgate in large groups, and my parents are not even allowed to set out two chairs behind their car before the game starts.

When inside the stadium, seating is spaced out a very comfortable amount. When I was at the game, I was not concerned with people around me as ticket sales accounted for six feet to either side of a party, as well as six feet in front of and behind the seats.

The point in the game where I realized just how much I missed normal life was when the players ran on to the field. As the fog cannons started and the players ran out, my heart broke as I realized nobody was in an overcrowded student section, surrounded by drunken strangers, jumping up and down on the bleachers while screaming the lyrics to Grove Street Party. I also felt bad for the players, as this was one of the most exciting and hype moments of the game that was now not happening.

The score of the football game was 41-42, which resulted in a Kentucky loss. My friends joked and said this was the 'first sense of normalcy since March', with which I couldn't completely disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Race for a Vaccine

 What if an American vaccine proves to be the most effective vaccine on the planet? For the past nine months, the novel coronavirus has rava...