Monday, October 12, 2020

Do We Have COVID?

On Friday morning, I woke up and checked my email to see my COVID test results from the day before. They were negative, as I had expected. I hadn't felt sick, but I wanted to go home to see my parents without exposing them. That same Friday, I walked down the hall, said bye to my roommate who was traveling for the weekend, and got in my car to drive home. I was so excited to go home and hug my family and spend the night with them. Going home made everything feel alright. 
The next day I went to the football game with my parents and my other brother. We have gone to the football games as a family for as long as I can remember. It was nice to feel a small sense of normalcy as we watched the game. That night I came home and was pretty tired. I took a shower and stayed in my room to keep to myself.
At around 8 pm, I heard my roommate's voice. I was surprised because she had planned on going to Nashville for the weekend. She texted us and told us that she had a fever and a sore throat, was afraid she had COVID, and was going to her parents' house to quarantine. I immediately started to worry about my family, who I spent all day with Friday right after I had said goodbye to my roommate. I didn't come out of my room until the next day at 2 pm, after my sick roommate had left and my other roommate disinfected our common areas.
One of the first things I did that morning was schedule a COVID test. I was able to get tested through UHS, which used a strep-like test and swabbed your throat instead of your nose, because I had been in contact with a person with symptoms of COVID-19. I decided to go through UHS because I knew their results came back within a day. The testing locations on campus had variable wait times and had taken up to five days to get results in the past. All day Sunday and Monday I sat worrying about exposing my family to COVID, even though I had taken the precautions to protect them.
Our first news came on Monday. My roommate who was sick had gone to get tested at the testing tent near the library and surprisingly gotten her results back within one day. To our complete surprise, she tested negative. I was so relieved, but being a worrier, was still nervous that my test would come back positive.
After a nerve-racking couple of days, I got my results back on Tuesday morning. I woke up an hour earlier than normal to check the results. I had never felt such relief as when I opened that email to see that I was negative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Race for a Vaccine

 What if an American vaccine proves to be the most effective vaccine on the planet? For the past nine months, the novel coronavirus has rava...